Monday, December 31, 2007

Alnitak, Alnilam, Mintaka

When I was a child, I longed for a white Christmas. I felt so cheated living in the Bay Area. I also longed to be poor so that I could make everyone dolls and quilts out of rags and they would be grateful for these gifts from my heart. I've grown out of my sad, sad poverty fantasies, but I really would like to see snow. However, closer attention to seasonal changes has allowed me to appreciate the Bay Area winter. I love how low the Sun hangs in the sky at around 3 p.m. and I especially love nights like tonight. The wind was blowing all day, leaving the sky especially clear and bright, and the air especially cold. So, tonight, while wallking the dogs, it felt like I had the neighborhood to myself. People were warm inside their homes. It was silent, except for one BART train and a far off siren. I could see and recognize Orion and Mars. I wished for such nice moments this winter for everyone, near and far, and then I went home before the New Year's Eve gunfire began.
Happy New Year.

No comments: